Re: [OPE-L] Marx on the equalisation of rates of surplus value

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Wed Dec 31 1969 - 20:05:41 EST

>Rakesh Bhandari claimed Marx assumed a uniform S/V only for the purpose of
>calculations, but as I previously indicated, in fact Marx's own argument is
>somewhat different, and here is the relevant passage:

It was important that you included my last name, Jurriaan Bendien?

And I did not say that. I granted that there
there is a real tendency towards a uniform s/v;
however,  not only pre-capitalist survivals will
interfere with it, and it's beside the point for
Marx's transformation tables.

Even if there obtains social uniform rate of
profit and rate of exploitation, price conceals
that it's a function of value. It would be even
more concealed  if say branches with a higher
than average s/v had lower than average profit
rates and visa versa. How long such disequilibria
could persist cannot be determined a priori; we
can discard the assumption that reality will
always soon catch up with the concept.

Nothing is lost even if the rate of s/v is not
perfectly uniform, and there is nothing in the
quote that you provide that shows Marx thought an
?equilibrium? uniform rate of s/v would ever be
actually realized. That was my point. He also
never thought the profit rate would ever be
actually equalized as strong as he perhaps
mistakenly thought the tendency towards such was.

Which is not to discount importance of analysis
of the tendency towards uniformity and dispersion
of s/v in contemporary capitalism with certain
sectors dependent on foreign undocumented labor,
other sectors highly dependent on skilled labor,
some sectors more dependent on wage rather than
salaried workers. The equalization of s/v may
express worker flight from certain especially
unpleasant sectors (say California agribusiness)
and motivate import of undocumented workers who
suffer at least in the medium term a higher than
average s/v as the value of their labor power is
for complex reasons lower than the average; a
reduced s/v in high skill branches may motivate
outsourcing to raise it over time to the social
average.

There are obviously complex dynamics at work. It
could be that the dispersion of rates of
exploitation is still much reduced in "late
capitalism" compared to a capitalism adulterated
with pre-capitalist survivals.

Rakesh