Re: [OPE-L] A history of capitalism

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Mon Mar 19 2007 - 04:05:35 EDT

>Rakesh, thank you for this. It is indeed very interesting.
>Yours, Dogan
  Pomeranz argues that Bagchi's definition of capitalism is too
expansive but it does not offer a rival one. It also seems to me that
he is blinded by formal similarities between say pre colonial and
colonial systems of  debt peonage. I am hoping that Bagchi writes a
reply. I am ambivalent about Pomeranz's criticism of Bagchi's
multi-leveled attack on the essentially apartheid myth of the
pristine West by showing various levels of cultural and economic
influence of the East on the West. Myth deconstruction is important
but perhaps it does interfere with objective causal analysis.
I also recently purchased Jack Goody's Theft of History.

Rakesh