Re: [OPE-L] Leontief Prize Announcement

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Thu Mar 22 2007 - 14:03:09 EDT

I of course found chapter 7 to be especially interesting.

The Long Twentieth Century
Globalization Under Hegemony: The Changing World Economy

Edited by Jomo K. S
Publisher: Oxford University Press, New Delhi, 2006

About the Book

"One of two companion volumes, this collection offers rich historical
insights into different dimensions of economic developments as they
affect globalization. The essays trace factors that have been
responsible for the growing inequalities between the North and the
South -- exploitative colonialism as well as trade, capital, and
labour flows -- during the 'long twentieth century', the period from
the mid-nineteenth century to the present.

The initial essay underscores the significant contribution of transfers
from the colonies for capital accumulation during the early decades
of the industrial revolution.

Others compare and contrast the earlier episode of globalization in
the half-century before World War I with the contemporary episode
since the end of the twentieth century. Some essays consider the
significance of capital flows, the terms of trade, and flows of
un-free labour in the world economy during the long twentieth
century. The concluding essays underscore the significance of
pro-active interventional states for all major development events in
recent centuries as well as the key role of trade and industrial
policies in such efforts.

Taken together, the collection suggests that economic and political
globalization during the long twentieth century have benefited the
north, often at the expense of the south, besides identifying the
necessary conditions for achieving economic development. Written by
eminent economists, this wide-ranging book will be valuable for
students of economic history, development studies, and world history."

Contents

1. Introduction
Jomo K. S.

2. The Free Lunch: Transfers From The Tropical Colonies And Their
Role In Capital Formation In Britain During The Industrial Revolution
Utsa Patnaik

3. Globalisation, History And Development
Deepak Nayyar

4. Globalization Now And Again
Richard Kozul-Wright

5. Capital Flows In The Twentieth Century: From Pax Britannica To Pax Americana
Benjamin Hopenhayn & Alejandro Vanoli

6. The Commodity Terms of Trade And Their Strategic Implications For
Development
Jose Antonio Ocampo & Maria Angela Parra

7. International Flows Of Un-free Labour
Sabyasachi Bhattacharya

8. The Developmental State Under Imperialism
Amiya Bagchi

9. Trade and Industrial Policies During the Age of Imperialism
Chang Ha-Joon