[OPE-L] animals, human and non human

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Fri Mar 23 2007 - 14:24:54 EDT

Just found a used copy of Ted Benton's Natural Relations. Have only
read the first chapter but it already develops some interesting and
in my opinion persuasive criticism of how Marx understood the
relation between the human and other animals. But Benton guards
unsuccessfully in my opinion against the charge of reductionism, of
the understanding of all human capacities as nothing other than forms
of behavior common to all animals.  But he speaks eloquently and
rigorously to questions which animated this list not long ago.
Rakesh