Re: [OPE-L] questions on the interpretation of labour values

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Sat Mar 24 2007 - 14:16:23 EDT

Ian wrote:

>It is hard not to wonder whether the rejection of simultaneous
>determination is simply a convenient immunizing strategy. But we can
>do better than that, no?

Modern equilibrium economists, Marxist included, have read Marx as
admitting that he needed to transform his inputs into the same prices
of production as his outputs. But Marx never said that he should have
and failed to transform his inputs into the same prices of production
as his outputs. Marx had no such concept of equilibrium price which
for him meant only a tendency towards profit rate equalization, not
stationary prices. Marx  said that he should not have assumed that
the value transferred from the means of production could be
identified with cost price of the used up means of production. From
this admission does not follow the imperative to generate
neoclassical or Sraffian equilibrium prices in which input and output
prices are the same.  The search in Marx's own text for admissions
for the need for a neoclassical or Sraffian theory of equilibrium
price is futile. It is a misreading; it is a strategy for those whose
formation is professional economics to make Marx a professional
economist and to have give his imprimatur to this mischievous
misreading.

Rakesh