Re: [OPE-L] questions on the interpretation of labour values

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Sat Mar 24 2007 - 23:21:26 EDT

In my immediately previous and obviously unread posts I have argued that
this passage points not to the need for a transformation of the inputs
from values to prices of production but for an inverse transformation--a
correction of the assumptions of the value transferred from the means of
production and the rate of surplus value in the transformation tables.  In
other words, Marx admitted that he went wrong not in leaving the inputs in
values but in identifying the value of the consumed means of production
with their cost price as recorded in his tables. That is he why he
concludes that price of production and value diverge for two
reasons--first, due to divergence between profit appropriated and surplus
value produced and second because of the difference beween the cost price
of the used up means of production and the value transferred as a result
of their consumption.

Marx never admitted the need for an equilibrium price theory in which
inputs and outputs are transformed into the same prices of production. He
never said that he had left his inputs in the form of values or that they
should have been or be transformed into the same prices of production
as the outputs. As to the error to which he was admitting, he has been
badly misread until I corrected the reading on this list five or so years
ago. Of course if my reading has been offered by anyone else before,
please let me know. But it became obvious to me that this was the crucial
passage as it is trotted out every time one wants to use the
transformation tables to close Marx's system--see, it is said, he implied
that his solution was faulty, too and that there was a need for a
simultaneous solution. But he admitted to no such thing.

He has been mis-read by equilibrium economists and in particular by
Bortkiewicz who wanted to do away with successivism for simultaneism as
Naples has argued.

Marx has been badly misread  so that he could be made to provide his
imprimatur for equilibrium economics, in particular the need for a theory
of equilibrium price.

 Rakesh