Re: [OPE-L] questions on the interpretation of labour values

From: Diego Guerrero (diego.guerrero@CPS.UCM.ES)
Date: Mon Mar 26 2007 - 05:34:34 EDT

Hi, Ajit:
You wrote commenting on Fred:

"If this is crucial, then you should know that you have
been making a crucial mistake all along. How does a
firm gets its revenue? By selling the goods it has
produced. When it sells a good, it sells it at a
price. Only AFTER selling its goods it receives a sum
of money that is its revenue. So revenue by definition
is quantity sold multiplied by its price. There is
only one way arrow of determination in the equation
PxQ = M. You cannot know M unless you know both P and
Q. In other words, if P is unknown, then M is unknown.
In your equation P = M/Q (assuming Q is known), you
have one equation in two unknowns, P and M, and so it
determines nothing."

1. This debate reminds me of the forest/tree question. You think we must
study the tree before looking at the forest. By contrast, I think Fred,
others and also I follow Marx in thinking that the correct procedure is
studying the forest before analysing the tree. In my opinion, it is not
mainly a question of sequential versus simultaneous. It goes beyond: it is
the question of the necessary rejection of methodological individualism.
Those who believe necessary to start from the individual behaviour in order
to understand the system seem to forget that the individuals are socially or
globally determined. Micro-agents must be understood in their macroeconomic
circumstance. This is for instance why for Marx classes come before
individuals.

2. So, when you say that "There is only one way arrow of determination in
the equation PxQ = M", I agree. But the arrow goes in the opposite direction
you are thinking. It is not true that "You cannot know M unless you know
both P and Q" and also that firm gets its revenue only "By selling the goods
it has produced".

First, the firm has other revenues apart from the sale of its outputs. Ask
the accountants, please. Second, there is more money apart from firms'
money. One rich can sell one of his mansions or one Picasso and set up a new
firm with this money. Or sell a package of shares. Money can come from
robbery, black money, corrupt governments. or from the old gold mines of the
Spanish Empire in America and other beautiful historical origins. There is
history, and there was the primitive accumulation of capital too. Third,
there is a difference between stocks and flows. It is necessary to start
from stocks, even if for practical reasons it is convenient in some cases to
simplify and to assume for example that we are dealing with a model of only
circulating capital. Think of the following example. Suppose that in a
national economy your P and Q are the same in two successive weeks, but the
country's stock exchange goes down a 5% in the meanwhile. So for you the
capital in the economy is the same before and after this fall?

3. In my opinion, Fred is consistent with Marx's idea that the law of value
is a real force that tends to make real prices to fluctuate around their
regulating labour-values and labour-prices. Marx follows Ricardo in that
there are certain commodities that have to be put aside from the primary
analysis because for them it is only demand what determines their prices.
But even in this case, once this money and all money, coming from wherever,
enters the process of production as an amount of means of production and
labour-force bought with a definite amount of C and V, the result is that
labour will create value in such a way that the new prices come to be
determined by the (Marx' labour) law of value.

4. I summarize my view at last. Every day (or month or year), each kind of
output turns out to have an average price and, as the price has to be always
the same for the seller and the buyer, if that output is an input for other
firm this input must have the same price as the output because it is the
same commodity of course. In analyzing these prices, everyone can pay
attention to whatever he wants. Every theoretician chooses his framework of
analysis. Marx preferred-and some follow him in this-to pay attention to the
process of labour and for this reason he considered that the individual
price of each of the means of consumption was a secondary issue. The sum of
money necessary for letting labour to create value in the technically
appropriate way is just a prerequisite of the analysis (as the use values
and utility are, and we don't pay attention to utility when analysing
prices). The retorts are secondary when analyzing the chemical process.
[Apart from the fact that retorts don't produce the chemical process, but
this is another issue].

Cheers,

Diego