Re: [OPE-L] rosa luxemburg

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Thu Mar 29 2007 - 11:35:39 EDT

>Hi Ope list memebers,
>

>as promissed some time ago please find attach my
>paper on Rosa Luxemburg. It is mostly a
>translation of an early German version with some
>aditions.
>Dogan
>

><http://www.aol.de/email/>Kostenlos: AOL eMail
>2 GB Speicherplatz sowie erstklassiger Spam- und eMail Virenschutz.
>Sichern Sie sich Ihre persönliche eMail Adresse noch heute!
>

>Attachment converted: Macintosh HD:rosa
>luxemburg confe#21CAD7.DOC (WDBN/MSWD) (0021CAD7)

Hi Dogan,
Just reading your most interesting paper.
Questions already coming to mind especially in
light of the excellent (yet controversial) paper
on Marx and Hegel I just read in the latest
Science and Society by Sean Sayers (his work on
contradiction is also of enduring significance).
A couple of quick questions:

1. How does Luxemburg understand Marx's critique
of the Hegelian dialectic--its idealism (which
Grossman, Chris Arthur and Tony Smith all see as
mirroring both the delusions and rapacity of
'self-expanding' value), its delusive resolution
of contradiction (e.g. universality or
bureaucracy resolves contradiction between
particularity or people and monarchy or
generality), its insistence on identity rather
than unity of opposites (Godelier insists on
difference)

2. What do you (and did RL) make of not the
epistemological nihilist or ethical neo
Kantianism but the social scientific neo
Kantianism of Max Adler? Kant did in a limited
way break out of atomistic ontology at least in
Adler's reader. This shared aspect of classical
German philosophy was important for Marx.
Here's an example:

Marx believed "that the content of every
individual consciousness was necessarily
socialized; language itself, in which that
content is expressed, is of course a social
inheritance. Kant's theory supplies this idea
with an epistemological basis. There is a
profound analogy between
Kant's refutation of the apparent substantiality
of the self, and Marx's critique of commodity
fetishism and reject of the 'reified' appearances
of social phenomena. The life of a society is nto
secondary to that of the
individuals composing it, but is a network of
relationships comprehending those individuals.
Man is a social being in his very essence, and
not simply because he associates with others for
reasons of instinct or calculation. Just as, in
Marx's analysis, the apparent objectivity of
commodities resolves itself into social
relations, so the appearances of
personal consciousness resolve themselves into a
general consciousness (das Bewusstein uberhaupt)
linking individuals with one another. Whether we
know it or not, in communication with others we
relate our thought to
transcedental consciousness. A reality which
cannot be directly perceived, but is accessible
to critical analysis  is manifested in the
relations between human beings, just as value is
manifested in exchange value." P. 263-4 of Main
Currents of Marxism, vol II.