Re: [OPE-L] rosa luxemburg

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Thu Mar 29 2007 - 14:30:07 EDT

>Dear Rakesh,
>
>Luxemburg, like Marx and Engels, regards
>Hegelian logic absolutely necessary as a method
>of thought. But it must be put on a rational
>basis to overcome Hegel's reversal of subject
>and object.

Not sure whether Marx's dialectic has even this
negative identity with Hegel's. Althusser did
raise some interesting questions here, no?

>Luxemburg rejects any approach to Marx from
>Kantian point of view - to his epistemology as
>well as to his social and political theory.

To quote out of context, Kant's theory of
transcendental consciousness is curiously
"asocially social". It's social in the sense that
it's shared and it makes social relations and
even objectivity of a kind possible (this was
Lucien Goldmann's point in his dissertation on
Kant, inspired by Adler) but it's not itself the
result of social relations (Marx Wartofsky wrote
about this somewhere), and inherent in the pre
social subject. Which also gives his theory of
consciousness a fixed character and critical
anthropology and philosophy have been
relativizing the a prioris ever since--Boas in
anthropology, Foucault in genealogy and Michael
Friedman in physics.

The asocial sociality Kant seems to have found in
emerging bourgeois order can be found in
transcendental consciousness.

Look forward to your comments, Dogan.
Thanks much for sending the paper.

Rakesh