Re: [OPE-L] simple reproduction

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Sat Mar 31 2007 - 00:08:06 EDT

I should have appended this quote to my post:

This example of fixed capital--and in the context of reprouction on a
constant scale--is a striking one. A disproportionate production of fixed
and circulating capital is a factor much favoured by the economists in
their explanation of crises. It is something new to them that a
disproportion of this can and must arise from the mere *maintainence* of
the fixed capital; that it can and msut arise on the assumption of an
ideal normal functioning, whith simple reproduction of the social capital
already
functioning."

Capital, Vol II. Vintage1981, pl 544-45. (the end of section 11 of chapter
20).

And i should disclose the immediate reason for my interest in this. I have
just read Rick Kuhn's biography of Grossman. Which captures vividly the
tragedy of Jewish Marxists in Central Europe. the struggles against and
within social democracy, the conditions of Marxist intellectual
production, and very much else.

 It's a very powerful book which I recommend most highly. Which will
surprise no one who has read my posts.

 Rick also underlines that Grossman highlighted the importance of his
analysis of simple reproduction. Rick does not mention that the GBCP
accused Grossman and Preobrazhensky of social fascism for implying that
capitalism could settle into simple reproductin (akin to Keynesian
unemployment equilibrium?), but I speculate this may have been part of
the reason Grossman called attention to his disequilibrium interpretation
of simple reproduction.

Yours, Rakesh