Re: [OPE-L] questions on the interpretation of labour values

From: Diego Guerrero (diego.guerrero@CPS.UCM.ES)
Date: Tue Apr 03 2007 - 14:04:08 EDT

Hi, Ajit,

Mi comments below:

----- Original Message -----
From: "ajit sinha" <sinha_a99@YAHOO.COM>
To: <OPE-L@SUS.CSUCHICO.EDU>
Sent: Monday, April 02, 2007 3:14 PM
Subject: Re: [OPE-L] questions on the interpretation of labour values

> Since my seminar is more or less under control, I can
> indulge in some recreational activities!

________________

As it seems that you are in the playtime at school it is not surprising that
you cannot see what the numbers are. Your example is erroneous because your
numbers are arbitrary. If you believe that I compute prices in that way you
are completely wrong. You need additional information for that. For
instance, if the 500 hours of direct labour are split in 300 hours spent in
the production of X and 200 in the production of Y, and also the output is X
= 60 units and Y = 200 units, and also we need 80 Y por producing 200 Y,
then the prices would be 1,67 for X and 0,33 for Y in your first case; and
2,083 for X
and 0,33 for Y in your second case (when 1/5 of X is necessary in the
production of 1 X). Likewise unit values would be 8.33 and 1.67 in the first
case, and 10.467 and 1.67 in the second case.

Direct labour would then be (60 x 5 + 200 x 1) = 500 in both cases, and GDP
=
100 in both cases. And the melt would be in both cases 1/5.

What you don't understand is that
the value of the melt is not arbitrarily determined a priori, but a result
of the real conditions of production and circulation that can be only known
once
the
period we are analyzing is completed.

Cheers,