Re: [OPE-L] Kliman and Wikipedia

From: glevy@PRATT.EDU
Date: Fri Apr 13 2007 - 13:13:06 EDT

Hi Jurriaan:

What struck me the most about the editing of the entry on David by Andrew
in wikipedia is that he changed the line that said that David "earned his
PhD" from the New School to that he "received a PhD" from the New School.
Out of curiosity I searched wikipedia  for the expression "earned his
PhD". You can see the results below:  it occurs one thousand three hundred
and seventy one (1,371) times.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Search?search=earned+his+PhD&go=Go
btw, I don't think that a separate section called "Academic controversy
with TSSI supporters" belongs in the entry on David. Let us recall, after
all, that David's engagement with the TSSI was an extremely minor part of
his contribution to thought when viewed from the perspective of a lifetime
of contributions on other topics on political economy.  I don't even think
that the topic of TSSI deserves a footnote in the entry on David; the
entire section should be deleted.

The entry on TSSI also needs some major editing to make it more neutral
and less self-promotional. It should also, imo,  be considerably
_shortened_ to reflect its relative significance.

In solidarity, Jerry