Re: [OPE-L] Question (invariable measure of value)

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Sun Apr 15 2007 - 07:18:43 EDT

>>>Hi Rakesh,
>>>
>>>is the citation below taken from TSV or from a
>>>letter written by Engels? I have not read that
>>>text before. Seems more like Marx´s language!
>>>Paulo
>>>
>>Pretty sure it is from Marx. It's included in
>>Kuruma's famous Marx lexicon, and I was reading
>>Michael Schauerte's translation of those three
>>volumes. But I shall check.
>>Yours, Rakesh
>
>Yes Theories of Surplus Value Chapter XX, 3.
>Polemical Writings (d) Samuel Bailey
>
>http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1863/theories-surplus-value/ch20.htm

Paulo,
Also in this discussion the following passage is
important as it reveals that the theoretician
Marx needed  an invariable measure of value to do
very different calculations than Sraffa intended
. Marx wanted to be able to make intertemporal
comparisons in the value of say a basket of use
values, not hold the size of the pie invariant
with changes in distribution in an impossibly
stationary technical system. The creation of an
invariable standard of value to solve the latter
problem would not solve Marx's problem.  One can
distinguish Marx's problematic from misguided
readings of Ricardo's problematic.

Moreover, one can point to  the difference
between setting the barter terms of exchange for
commodities in terms of a numeraire and
explaining why all commodities had to and could
indeed represent their value as a physical
quantity of a single use value (that gold mining
labor was fetishized, that is immediately
transformed in the only immediately social,
general and abstract labor, appears all the more
sur-real the more one acquaints oneself with the
actual grueling and crude nature of this labor,
including diving into and below the mud bottoms
of rivers--see here Michael Taussig's My Cocaine
Museum) .

Here's the crucial and generally ignored passage:

The problem of finding an "invariable measure of
value" is thereby eliminated.  But this problem
itself (the interest in comparing the value of
commodities in different historical periods, is,
indeed, not an economic interest as such, [but]
an academic interest) arose out of a
misunderstanding and conceals a much more
profound and important question.  "Invariable
measure of value" signifies primarily a measure
of value which is itself of invariable value, and
consequently, since value itself is a predicate
of the commodity, a commodity of invariable
value.  For example, if gold and silver or corn,
or labour, were such commodities, then it would
be possible to establish, by comparison with
them, the rate at which other commodities are
exchanged for them, that is, to measure exactly
the variations in the values of these other
commodities by their prices in gold, silver, or
corn, or their relation to wages.  Stated in this
way, the problem therefore presupposes from the
outset that in the "measure of value" we are
dealing simply with the commodity in which the
values of all other commodities are expressed,
whether it be the commodity by which they are
really represented-i.e., money, the commodity
which functions as money-or a commodity which,
because its value remains invariable, would
function as the money in terms of which the
theoretician makes his calculations.  It thus
becomes evident that in this context it is in any
case a question only of a kind of money which as
the measure of value-either theoretically or
practically-would itself not be subject to
changes in value...
Let us assume that gold has an invariable value.