Re: [OPE-L] Karl Korsch

From: Dogan Goecmen (dogangoecmen@AOL.COM)
Date: Mon Apr 16 2007 - 07:03:23 EDT

-----Ursprüngliche Mitteilung-----
Von: howarde@TWCNY.RR.COM
An: OPE-L@SUS.CSUCHICO.EDU
Verschickt: Mi., 11. Apr. 2007, 22:17
Thema: Re: [OPE-L] Karl Korsch

Hi Dogan,

Would we say "critique of ideologies like chemistry"?  The word 'ideology' gets used and abused, but I assume Korsch's use here would differentiate ideology from science.  Yet I think because of developments in philosophical naturalism we can say today that philosophy is or can be thought of as "continuous with science."  That means it can appeal to no special methods or tools available a priori, no special foundations taken as established independent of the methods and results of science -- philosophy does what it does as a part of enterprise of science.    I think Marx thought of and used philosophy in this sense, as continuous with the enterprise of science, and he foreshadowed much much in contemporary philosophy as a result.  Think of the Method of Political Economy.  This is certainly philosophy, but it is philosophy in the service of social theory.   Philosophy limits itself insofar as it ignores his contributions.  It is a measure of the poverty of mainstream social science that contemporary debates over ethical naturalism take place without any measurable contribution from social theory.  The caption under the cartoon might read, "This is your brain when Marxless."

I think these comments are responsive to your more specific question -- Marx's sense of himself as a scientist certainly matured -- recall his letter to Lasalle, 2/22/58, "The presentation, that is, the manner of treatment, is wholly scientific . . . . "  The doctoral dissertation, for example, is a study of philosophy in the traditional sense.  But the Method of Political Economy, or Capital and its drafts, reflect philosophy in the service of and continuous with science.

Howard