[OPE-L] Wolfowitz's world

From: Jurriaan Bendien (adsl675281@TISCALI.NL)
Date: Tue Apr 17 2007 - 16:21:33 EDT

The World Bank itself released more extracts about the Wolfowitz affair, I
just noticed.

For the record - Direct quotes contained in documents released by the Board
of Executive Directors, April 12
http://web.worldbank.org/WBSITE/EXTERNAL/EXTABOUTUS/ORGANIZATION/EXTOFFICEPRESIDENT/0,,contentMDK:21299683~menuPK:51175739~pagePK:51174171~piPK:64258873~theSitePK:1014541,00.html

The Dutch press also carried a story about how the Dutch ex-premier Ad
Melkert (Labour Party) who worked for the World Bank at the time was
implicated in what happened. Melkert himself said explicitly he had no
problems with Riza's royal salary hike.

I suppose the whole thing will be drowned in procedural legalese now - i.e.
while the rich are enriching themselves more from tax money, mere mortals
like ourselves are allegedly unable to understand what is "right" and
"wrong" in this matter.

Personally I cannot be bothered normally with focusing on such scandals, but
I happen to hate Paul Wolfowitz.  That's my bias, and justabout anything
that removes him from power is a good thing, in my view.

Perhaps Patrick feels obliged to defend the World Bank against Wolfowitz in
this matter - I suppose you can find all sorts of nuances if you look for
them.

Jurriaan