Re: [OPE-L] questions on the interpretation of labour values

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Wed Apr 18 2007 - 11:10:04 EDT

>Hi Rakesh, thanks for your latest reply and for the discussion in
>general, which I think is productive.  A few responses below.
>
>Quoting Rakesh Bhandari <bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU>:
>
>>>Hi Rakesh,
>>>
>>>The kind of scenario that you suggest (constant and more or less
>>>proportional changes of values for all commodities) is possible, but
>>>there is no indication in this passage that this kind of scenario is
>>>what Marx had in mind.
>>>
>>>And, even in this case, if the prices of production of outputs remain
>>>constant over longer periods of time, then so will the prices of
>>>production of the inputs, and thus the prices of production of the
>>>inputs will be equal to the prices of production of the outputs, as I
>>>have argued.
>>
>>Don't think has to follow.
>
>Yes, it does have to follow.  If the prices of production of the inputs
>are NOT = to the prices of production of the outputs, then the prices
>of production of the outputs would have to change in the next period,
>and in subsequent periods, in order to equalize the rate of profit
>across industries.  Just look at any of Kliman and McGlone’s numerical
>tables.
>
>So if the prices of production of the outputs remain constant over
>“prolonged periods”, then the prices of production of the inputs must
>be = to the prices of production of the outputs.

No. If prices of production are aggregate
industry prices (and you say that they are) and
if each period there is proportional productivity
growth and expansion and if the MEL is constant,
then prices of production will not change each
period. But unit values and prices would have. So
the constancy of prices of production  does not
prove the interperiodic constancy of unit values
and unit prices.

>>To some extent I do think Marx gets trapped by Smith's Newtonian
>>image of value as a center of gravity, which is of course meant to
>>invest the market with an equilibrium tendency. And the astronomical
>>metaphor is of course the crux of the matter.
>>
>>  Smith's metaphor is however ideological and apologetic, and also
>>grounded in an economy of manufactures in which the revolutionization
>>of the forces of production has not yet become endemic.
>>
>>So as an immanent critique of Smith's reversion to an adding up
>>theory of value as a center of gravity, Marx does at times seem to
>>accept the dubious equilibrium idea that value remains fixed over the
>>long term only to show that Smith's natural (long term center of
>>gravity) price arrived at adding up the equilibrium wage, profit and
>>rent is in fact only the transformed value, price of production. At
>>its most basic level, Marx's theory of the price of production is
>>simply the critique of Smith's adding up theory of value, which
>>includes a demonstration of why it has a hold over those trapped in
>>bourgeois production.
>
>I think it is generally true that, whenever Marx talked about prices of
>production, in any of the drafts of Capital, he talked about prices of
>production as long-run center-of-gravity prices, and in this respect
>Marx’s prices of production are the same as Smith’s and Ricardo’s
>“natural prices”, as Marx explicitly stated several times, including in
>the following passage from the end of Chapter 10 of Volume 3:
>
>"And what we call price of production is in fact the same thing that
>Adam Smith calls ‘natural price’, Ricardo ‘price of production’ or
>‘cost or production’, and the Physiocrats ‘prix necessaire’, though
>none of these people explained the difference between price of
>production and value".   (p.300; see also TSV, Chapter 10, Section 5A,
>and Selected Correspondence, p. 122)
>
>And when Marx discusses changes of prices of production at the end of
>Chapter 9 (and elsewhere), prices of production do not cease to be
>long-run center-of-gravity prices; only the centers-of-gravity
>themselves change.

Again you and many others are conflating the
classical conception of long term center of
gravity and the neoclassical one. The latter has
a conception of a stationary unit market price in
the form of market clearing price. The emphasis
of the former is on the equalization of rewards
for capital and labor in the long run. Marx can
accept that no industry over the long term is
going to beat the average rate of profit without
thinking that technology is stable such that
there is a stationary unit price which serves as
a center of gravity. Almost everything in his
theory both explicit and implied suggests that
there is no such stability of technology. As
Blaug has shown, most economists misread the
classical economists with the eyes of the
neoclassical economist they have been trained to
become.

Won't be able to respond to rest (as well as Paul
C's interesting message) until later this week.

Yours, Rakesh