[OPE-L] statistical and mechanical equilibrium

From: Jurriaan Bendien (adsl675281@TISCALI.NL)
Date: Mon Apr 23 2007 - 14:40:08 EDT

Rakesh asked:Which aspects of equilibrium does Marx accept, if any? We of
course
need clarity here.I am not totally sure about all of it, to be honest.Marx
accepts among other things:- that supply and monetarily effective demand
will adjust to each other- that specific proportions between different
sectors of production are required for balanced growth- that market prices
for new output (and possibly values) gravitate towards prices of
productionBut none of this need logically imply any concept of
equilibrium.The central bourgeois-ideological notion is that the free
operation of the market creates equilibrium in the sense of social
stability.Market forces tend spontaneously towards equilibrium, and
therefore spontaneously promote social stability.Jurriaan