[OPE-L] Analytical Marxism (was Lange's vindication)

From: Jurriaan Bendien (adsl675281@TISCALI.NL)
Date: Thu Apr 26 2007 - 15:54:43 EDT

Rakesh,

I gotta give it to you, you read more of the contemporary literature than I
do, as I don't earn a living as academic. To be honest, I haven't read
Julius Sensat.

But anyway as I have said I don't aim to discourse about ethics at all until
I'm married, and if I don't marry, you won't get any serious ethical
discourse out of me anyhow.

My belief is that if you talk about ethics at all, it should be done in a
spirit of love, and I don't marry, except for love. And I don't believe in
love, except as a real practice.

Anything else is a superficial American banality, i.e. talking about
"ethics" while you are murdering, thieving, robbing, torturing, lying,
dissimulating, lynching and raping... or generally enriching yourself at
other's expense, with a trip to church on Sundays.

Believe me, Jerry Cohen does have important things to say about ethics, and
what he has to say about it, is a whole lot better than what he says about
Marx's interpretation of history. Anyway, I doubt whether he would still
agree totally with what he said back then about it. Nowadays he would say
different things. That is how scholarship is, at least if you keep learning
(and a true scholar does).

Jurriaan

Well, they'll stone you when you walk all alone.
They'll stone you, when you are walking home.
They'll stone you and then say you are brave.
They'll stone you, when you are set down in your grave.
But I would not feel so all alone,
Everybody must get stoned.

- Bob Dylan