Re: [OPE-L] Michael Schauerte

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Fri Apr 27 2007 - 12:07:18 EDT

What is Marx getting at in the critique of Fichtean philosophers and
in the emphasis on mediation or detours?

Individuals--real in juridical form but shadowy in content--feel
alienated by society and leave to the value of things and  money the
powers to establish their seemingly contingent social relations. Yet
these fetishes of value and money only have such powers  in their
respective specific  magnitudes as a result of the particular
commodity form of the organization of our necessary (that is non
contingent) social productive interdependence rational regulation of
which would actually allow the real individual to flourish.

The real individual is not an ontological datum but the result of a
historical process.

So we return to the questions of humanism and the Hegelian theory of
history and Marx's understanding of them.

Rakesh