Re: [OPE-L] Reliability of price channel - personal computer industry

From: Jerry Levy (Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM)
Date: Fri Apr 27 2007 - 18:51:09 EDT

> You have the history confused, your impression is a romantic
> myth that  reverses the actual historical process.

Hi Paul:

On a related note, I am constantly surprised and dismayed by some
of my radical friends who continue to support  Apple in the mis-guided
belief that they are somehow better  than IBM and Microsoft.
I don't get it:  why, in an oligopolistic market, should we support
one huge corporation against another huge corporation?  I think they've
basically been taken in by Apple corporate propaganda.

The history you recount in the PC industry is in many ways fairly
typical of the evolution from a branch of production in its
infancy (when there are often small innovating firms, which tend
to exit the market or merge with another capital later) to a "mature"
market dominated by large corporations.  This transition, which
is commonplace in many branches of production, has implications
for changes in the "price channel".

In solidarity, Jerry