Re: [OPE-L] detour/roundabout way (quotes)

From: Michael Schauerte (mikeschauerte@GMAIL.COM)
Date: Sat Apr 28 2007 - 21:28:44 EDT

Setting aside for a moment the question of whether "detour" or "roundabout
way" is appropriate to describe the mediated mechanism of value-expression,
I think that in the passage from Marx that Kuruma quotes either of those
terms would be OK to translate Umweg. Also, as a humble translator, I cannot
get too far away from Kuruma's usage of terminology so I will probably have
to make a choice between the two (or use "circuitous route", etc.) to
describe the mechanism of value-expression.

Perhaps the key term here is "mechanism," in fact. Because Kuruma is not
merely saying that the value of one commodity (e.g. linen) is expressed in
the use-value of another commodity (e.g. coat), which is evident and also
clearly a mediated or indirect action. He is emphasizing how this is
possible and how it occurs, which involves that "detour" Marx describes
where the tailoring labor of the coat becomes the manifestation of abstract
human labor. Kuruma describes a two-step detour, which is not so much
chronological as simultaneous, where the linen equates the coat to itself,
thereby positing the coat with determinate being as "value-body" wtihin this
relation, and then uses the bodily form of the coat to express its own
value. The emphasis here is not merely on how this is a mediated relation,
which is undeniable, but is a sort of minute (and to some minds, perhaps,
tedious) explanation of how this occurs.

Mike