[OPE-L] recommended rule of thumb

From: ope-admin@ricardo.ecn.wfu.edu
Date: Sun Apr 29 2007 - 07:23:52 EDT

> I am sorry, while doing too many things at once I see I sent some
> material to OPE-L that doesn't belong on the list - this will not
> happen again

Stuff happens.

As a *rule of thumb* one should assume in the absence of clear evidence
to the contrary that if a post has no obvious relevance to the list that
it was *unintentionally* sent and should therefore be disregarded.  The
*benefit of the doubt* in such instances should be given to the poster.

Whether one should apologize to the list or simply assume that others
on the list will presume good faith and understand that a message was
mistakenly sent to the list is a judgment call.  The advantage of the
former is that it sets the record straight;  the advantage of the latter
is that it reduces unnecessary posts.

In solidarity, Jerry