[OPE-L] "detour"

From: Pen-L Fred Moseley (fmoseley@MTHOLYOKE.EDU)
Date: Sun Apr 29 2007 - 09:56:29 EDT

Quoting Rakesh Bhandari <bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU>:

> Fred writes:
>

>> "Detour" suggests something temporary and
>> inessential.
>
> Isn't that what you want to suggest, that the detour is in fact not
> necessary? That it temporary and inessential?

Well, yes and no.  If you want to emphasize the capitalism is a
historically specific mode of production, then you would emphasize that
the indirect representation of SNLT by money is "temporary and
inessential".  However, if you want to analyze how capitalism works,
then you would want to emphasize the essential nature of this indirect
representation within capitalism.  Marx said over and over again that
money is the NECESSARY form of appearance of SNLT (in capitalism).  Not
something unnecessary or inessential in capitalism.

I still think that "necessary indirect representation" is the clearest
way to express the relation between SNLT and money in capitalism.  If
that is what one means by "detour", then fine.  But this is less clear,
at least to me.

Comradely,
Fred