Re: [OPE-L] Sraffa and the question of gravitation

From: ajit sinha (sinha_a99@YAHOO.COM)
Date: Tue May 01 2007 - 08:31:15 EDT

--- Paul Cockshott <wpc@DCS.GLA.AC.UK> wrote:

> Ajit
> "If R happens to be not equal to the Srandard rate
> of
> profit then R1 = R2 = R3 = ... will not be true. It
> will be true only when R is equal to the Standard
> rate. The next step in the argument is that
> inequality
> between R1, R2, R3, ... can exist only if there is
> some outside constraint on the system. Thus when in
> your empirical work you find R's not to be equal,
> one
> explanation for it could be that there is always
> some
> outside interference in the market--for example,
> tariff, tax, subsidies, etc."
>
> Even on your own terms this does not seem to follow.
> Suppose that we find empirically that R is not equal
> to the standard rate, then from your argument the
> sectoral rates would not be equal.
>
> But more generally I would like to see you
> substantiate
> the argument that that inequalities in rates can
> only
> occur in the presence of outside constraints.
>
> To show this you would have to have some sort of
> dynamics
> in your system and show that this dynamics led to a
> uniform rate.
>
> Since a system with a non-uniform rate has a higher
> entropy, and is thus ** more probable ** than a
> system
> with a uniform rate, on very general statistical
> grounds,
> you would have to invent a set of dynamical laws
> that
> were entropy reducing. This is a non-trivial task,
> and
> I will believe it possible when I see you produce
> these
> dynamical laws.
>

> Paul Cockshott
_____________________________
Paul, but why our straight forward argument is not
convincing? That is that if the rate of profits are
not equal then as you increase wages from zero and try
to go to the maximum, you find that you cannot reach
the maximum because some rate of profits turn negative
before other reach zero, which only reveals existence
of some constraint on the system. This, in my view was
behind Sraffa's basic argument when he argues that all
prices must change when rate of profits change given
the total output constant. This is also behind the
discovery of the Standard commodity. The question was:
why should prices change when distribution changes?
The answer was: to redress the deficit or surpluses
that would emerge in different sectors; it was seen as
an internal necessity of the system. Only from this
ground, he could ask: so if I remove this cause from
some sector then that commodity will have no reason to
change given the cause. And so the Standard commodity
was discovered.  I, of course, would welcome some
suggestions of developing some internal dynamics of
the system--more in the line of quantum mechanics, I
guess--which would also prove the above proposition.
If you have any idea, please send it to me off list.
Currently we are working out the dynamics of the
gravitation mechnism given CRS to see if it, in any
case, works. Cheers, ajit sinha

http://www2.economics.unsw.edu.au/nps/servlet/portalservice?GI_ID=System.LoggedOutInheritableArea&maxWnd=_Heterodox_WorkingPapers> > >

> > > or from the SHE site:
> > >
> > > http://she.web.unsw.edu.au