Re: [OPE-L] conservation principles in economic and the natural sciences

From: ajit sinha (sinha_a99@YAHOO.COM)
Date: Wed May 09 2007 - 11:24:13 EDT

--- glevy@PRATT.EDU wrote:

> > I think if we take a purely natural science point
> of
> > view then the notion of surplus must meltdown. One
> way
> > to look at the system would be to specify
> subsistence
> > wage per unit of labor service in terms of goods
> and
> > put it on the side of inputs. These inputs produce
> the
> > total labor service as output and thus account for
> all
> > the labor in the system. Now the net output of the
> > system can be interpreted as conversion of
> resources
> > that are economically free such as air, water,
> sun,
> > etc. I think they could be modeled in the system
> with
> > zero prices. We can define wages as anything above
> the
> > given subsistence and work out the distrbution of
> > "free natural resources" between wages and
> profits.
> > This way we could maintain the conservation
> principle.
> > What do you think?
>
> Hi Ajit:
>
> Which conservation principle in the natural sciences
> are you
> referring to and how does that relate to
> conservation principles
> which have been suggested for political economy?
___________________
I think there is only one conservation principle in
natural science (I mean physics) and that is
conservation of total energy. I do not know of any
conservation principle in political economy. What are
they? Now, don't tell me the normalisation equation
used by some Marxists in the transformation problem
as, total value = total prices of production is your
conservation principle of political economy. That
would be non-sense.
__________________________

> The most fundamental conservation principle in the
> natural
> sciences refers to the conservation of *matter*.  In
> that regard,
> even if all life were destroyed on this planet (and
> elsewhere),
> matter would still be conserved.  Ashes to ashes,
> dust to dust ....
Ashes to ashes, and dust to dust is the conservation
principle of christianity and not natural science!
Matter can be converted to energy. Cheers, ajit sinha

> In solidarity, Jerry

Finding fabulous fares is fun.