Re: [OPE-L] The Financialization of Capitalism

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Wed May 16 2007 - 11:41:27 EDT

>It has been argued [10][1,2,3,12,7,11] that the
>real rate of return on capital tends to decline
>over the course of capitalist development. If
>the rate of interest does not fall at a
>corresponding rate then the level of voluntary
>fundraising by firms will decline, since a
>diminishing portion of firms will be making
>enough profits to cover the rate of interest.
>However, the level of savings will not
>necessarilly decline at a corresponding rate.

Paul, this does not seem to me to follow, for
even if the rate of interest does fall at a
corresponding rate, the real rate of return on
capital still may have still declined to such a
point that fresh borrowings are not made.

Here are some quotes from Mattick's Marx and
Keynes; by the way there is a brilliant piece by
John Milios in the most recent Science and
Society on Tugan Baronwsky which ends with
discussion of Mattick.

"But no generalization regarding the behavior and
importance of the rate of interest can be passed
on this possibility [of positively affecting
investments].  High interest rates are not
incompatible with high rates of profit.  When all
is well in the sphere of profit production, a
relatively high rate of interest will not hamper
capital formation.  It may even quicken its
place, if productivity develops fast enough to
satsify both loan capital and productive captial".
" A decade of falling interest rates after 1929
did not affect investment decisions seriously.
Interest-rate manipulation ceased to be regarded
as a main instrument for the control of business
activities, an 'in the academic view it seems
that the importance of the rate of interest was
very much exaggerated in traditional theory, and
that Marx was after all not much at fault in
ignoring it altogether.'(quoting Joan Robinson)
Quoting Keynes "'the collapse in the marginal
efficiency of capital may be so complete that no
practical reduction in the rate of interest will
be enough" to stimulate investments. 'With
markets organized and influenced as they are,' he
wrote, 'the market estimation of the marginal
efficiency of capital may suffer from such
enormous fluctuations that it cannot be
sufficiently offset by corresponding fluctuations
in the rate of interest.'"

>As the demand for funds within the industrial
>and commercial sector dries up in the face of
>high interest rates, lending comes to be
>directed increasingly towards the funding of the
>state debt and consumer credit.

Why would not states and consumers be limited as
to their borrowings by high interest rates as
well? What guarantee that they'll be able to
absorb the surplus stock of liquid money capital?
Which you seem to believe on theoretical grounds
will rise in the course of accumulation, though
(now in reply to Allin) it may now show up in the
M2 numbers as you also seem to be suggesting

Rakesh