[OPE-L] Talkin' about their generation

From: Jurriaan Bendien (adsl675281@TISCALI.NL)
Date: Wed Jun 06 2007 - 16:25:40 EDT

A new band, the Zimmers, spectacularly reached the 26th slot in the British hitparade, with The Who's old hit "My generation" (1965). The singer Alf Carretta is 90 years old, drummer Buster Martin 100 years, and the average age of the 40-strong band is 78 years. See the Youtube clip:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zqfFrCUrEbY

The group was an idea of BBC journalist Tim Samuels who wanted to spotlight the condition of marginalised pensioners. The song was recorded at Abbey Road studios. As you can, there's still some life in pop music left.

A Dutch journalist commented: "'I hope I die before I get old' sounds fresher in 2007 when Alf Carretta sings it, than if Roger Daltrey  (himself now 63) does". http://www.nrc.nl/media/article719353.ece/Bejaarden_scoren_hit_met_My_Generation

(Robin Blackburn's new book "Age Shock" is now out, I believe).

Jurriaan

Old man take a look at my life
I'm a lot like you
I need someone to love me