Re: [OPE-L] Complex and simple labour: English trans. of French Capital I?

From: Howard Engelskirchen (howarde@TWCNY.RR.COM)
Date: Fri Jun 08 2007 - 03:14:33 EDT

Thanks, Ruth!

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rakesh Bhandari" <bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU>
To: <OPE-L@SUS.CSUCHICO.EDU>
Sent: Friday, June 08, 2007 1:35 AM
Subject: Re: [OPE-L] Complex and simple labour: English trans. of French
Capital I?

The organization of the division of labor can be
left to the market only if the labor available to
society has become practically abstract and
homogeneous. General commodity production is
inherently anarchical and requires the continuous
redeployment in light of price fluctuations of
what has to have thus already become a
homogeneous abstract workforce.  In this sense
the Foucault who closed in on Marx the more he
repudiated him may well be quite right about the
autonomy of dispotifs: the economy has as its
condition of possibility the social technologies
required to produce such a workforce.   There is
also unsurprising anxiety about the the
averageness and levelling down of  mass anonymous
society--that  any-one, das Man could (if
motivated) quite easily do one's work with
identical result.

As David Gleicher long ago argued, such a result
depends on the general education of the
workforce, the simplification of labor tasks, and
the general mobility of  doubly free
proletarians.  Simple abstract labor is simply no
mental abstraction to the modern workforce.

Unlike value per se, simple abstract labor as the
substance of value  is  not posited by  or
brought into existence through exchange but the
condition of possibility for anarchical commodity
exchange relations to have become generalized in
the first place. Simple abstract labor is a
practical abstraction and a historical product.
For those who perform it, it may well often be
more central to their identity than any other
life activity or social role; for those who do
not, it has often been the object of either a
radical aristocratic revulsion or what Luc
Boltanski and Eva Chiapello call artistic
critique.

There is no chance that bourgeois economists
would allow a science of society to be built on
such a humble, albeit solid, foundation and to be
centered on questions of the (monetary)
representation, allocation, employment levels and
exploitation of simple abstract labor.

Now we can move to skilled labor which cannot be
immediately  performed by simple average labor.
But this labor is no different in qualitative
terms:  it too must be trained and socialized, it
too creates value in accordance with the
expenditure of social labor time its work
represents, it too is exploited, its high wages
will also elicit greater competition (even if
there is a delay for training); and the unit
values of its respective products fall absolutely
and possibly relatively as a result of both the
rising productivity of qualified labor due say to
CAD/CAM and the rationalization of its training
(so that it 'embodies' less labor time and thus
discharges less compounded labor in its work).
The multiple at which a product of skilled labor
exchanges against a product of unskilled labor
changes behind everyone's back  but the dynamics
find their cause in the law of value, in
intersectoral variations in the rates of
productivity growth.

At any rate, while wage differences may reflect
differences in value creating capacity, they are
not themselves the cause of those latter
differences. It also goes without saying that we
are talking about skilled labor, not "symbolic
analysts" such  as qualified managers, legal
counsel and creative CFOs of or for the
capitalist class.
Rakesh