Re: [OPE-L] exploitation and consumption

From: Dogan Goecmen (Dogangoecmen@AOL.COM)
Date: Sat Jun 09 2007 - 06:03:18 EDT

In einer eMail vom 08.06.2007 18:05:15 Westeuropäische Sommerzeit schreibt
Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM:

> For  orthodox Marxism the sphere of consumption doesn't really exist, even
>  although Marx himself defines economic life as the totality of  production,
> distribution, circulation and consumption. Ever since  Stalin's "priority
> of  heavy industry", the sphere of consumption  has been theoretically
> neglected  in orthodox Marxist  theory.

I think you could trace that trend to a period of time long  before Stalin.
Don't you think it was manifest in late 19th and early 20th  Century
German-Austrian social democratic thought (e.g. in the writings of  Kautsky)?
Perhaps as far back as Engels?

Can anyone on the list give references to these claims?
Thanks,
Dogan