Re: [OPE-L] Complex ... and the French edition of capital

From: Anders Ekeland (anders.ekeland@ONLINE.NO)
Date: Sat Jun 09 2007 - 06:48:17 EDT

Hi Hans,

the translation is good AFAICS, but your interpretation I find quite
strange and unconvincing; just to take one example:

- the whole point for Marx is that *all* types of complex labour
"must always be reduced average social labour through money (gold and silver).

- If Marx do not regard gold producing labour as simple here then he
has not answered how the reduction of various types of complex labour
are reduced to simple labour. The difficulty is not to say that
different labours can and must be equated - it is how to find the
coefficients which is the problem. Hic coefficientes hic salta!

Regrettably I cannot just now go into a detailed analysis of the
various passages where Marx treats this issue, but it seems to me
rather obvious that you cannot get one theory out of it. See my other
posting on this issue. The "process behind the producers back",
education costs, gold producing labour - you just cannot make one
coherent story out that.

If that was possible - great thinkers like Hilferding and Rosdolsky,
Rubin et. al would have shown the inner logic of such a solution - if
there was one. I cannot see this as making the same argument, just in
more detail, because the French version is not more detailed, it just
have another logic, an other focal point. Not educations costs, but
the gold producing labour which since Marx (mistakenly in my opinion)
believed was close to "directly social labour" - cr. Mandels article
in Freeman and Mandel, "Ricardo, Marx and Sraffa" "Gold, Money and
the Transformation Problem"

Regards
Anders