Re: [OPE-L] Complex ... and the French edition of capital

From: Paul Cockshott (wpc@DCS.GLA.AC.UK)
Date: Tue Jun 12 2007 - 16:10:18 EDT

Hans
----
 The concept of socially necessary labor-time is therefore
specific to commodity societies.  But if you think of abstract labor simply
as the expenditure of human muscles, mind, etc., it is a "physiological
truth" that every labor process everywhere is the expenditure of abstract
labor.

Paul C
------
I would prefer to express it slightly differently: it is only in
commodity producing societies that socially necessary labour time
takes the *form* of money or exchange value.

The technology available to a society will always define how much
labour is necessary to perform a task - we can not get away from that,
but we can reckon it directly rather than in the form of money.