Re: [OPE-L] Ch. 7 as starting point for reading Capital???

From: Michael Heinrich (m.heinrich@PROKLA.DE)
Date: Wed Jun 20 2007 - 13:58:22 EDT

In the first edition of "Capital" (1867) there are two presentations of
the value form: one inside chapter 1 (which in the first edition
includes ch. 1-3 of the later editions) and one in the appendix. In the
preface Marx recommended to the reader "who is not familiar with
dialectical thinking" to skip the presentation of value form anlysis in
chapter 1 and to read the appendix. He didn't recommend to skip the
whole chapter 1.

After "Capital" had appeared in 1867, his friend Ludwig Kugelmann asked
Marx, how his wife should read "Capital". Marx answered in a letter from
November 30, 1867  Kugelmann may recommend to his wife  to read at first
the section about the "working day", then about "Cooperation, division
of labour and machinery" and finally the section about "primitive
accumulation".

Other recommendations of Marx about reading "Capital" I do not know. But
it would be extremely strange if he had recommended to skip chapter 1
after he had spent so much time of reworking  the material of this chapter.

Michael