Re: [OPE-L] Leaders, managers, power

From: glevy@PRATT.EDU
Date: Fri Jun 29 2007 - 10:37:29 EDT

>>>What I meant to say to you Jerry is this - in my opinion, in the real
world of politics, ideology is often much less important than
intellectuals
suppose. You have a problem to solve, and you have to organise people to
solve it, and ideology often is more of a hindrance than a help, to solving
it. <<<

Hi Jurriaan:

I think there are many historical examples which show that this is often
_not_ the case: instead of politics being driven by pragmatic
consideration, idology is often in the drivers seat.  This is true for
many right-wing governments (including, relatively recently,  the Reagan
and G.W. Bush administrations) and some left-wing governments (e.g. the
PRC in the Great Leap Forward or the USSR during the period of War
Communism).

In solidarity, Jerry
Peaks Is, ME headed Downeast