Re: [OPE-L] Marx's beard

From: glevy@PRATT.EDU
Date: Fri Jun 29 2007 - 10:49:56 EDT

> By the way, did Marx ever shave his beard?

Hi Ajit:

I assume you were being sarcastic in asking that question.

As to the question itself, I doubt he shaved his beard as an adult --
although he may very well have occasionally _trimmed_ it.  This was the
style for men in Europe at the time, includng intellectuals. Pictures of
German Social Democrats (and anarchists, etc.) will show long beard
galore.

As for the implied meaning behind the question, I agree that simply
because Marx grew a beard and didn't shave it doesn't mean that we should
necessarily follow in his wake on that (or other) issues.  We should not
seek to emulate _any_ authority figure: we need to understand _our_ world
(of the 21st Century) and act upon that understanding.  Marx's thought
informs much of how we view certain questions, but so should the thought
of others and the historical experience before and since Marx's time.

In solidarity, Jerry