Re: [OPE-L] exploitation and abstraction

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Sat Jun 30 2007 - 01:51:08 EDT

>Hi Michael,
>
>Gyorgy Lukacs once wrote:
>
>"Orthodox Marxism, therefore, does not imply the uncritical acceptance of
>the results of Marx's investigations. It is not the 'belief' in this or that
>thesis, nor the exegesis of a 'sacred' book. On the contrary, orthodoxy
>refers exclusively to method."
>http://www.marxists.org/archive/lukacs/works/history/orthodox.htm
>
>But this argument is precisely flawed in my opinion.

Perhaps you could say a word or two about what Lukacs means by method
here, what his argument actually is.

  It seems to me that despite the characteristically great length of
your post you don't make any contact with Lukacs' actual argument
which serves rather as an occasion for your google like stream of
consciousness on method-abstraction-Marx.  Which could be
interesting, but the following eight points--and why not edit a
bit?--seem absolutely unconcerned with what Lukacs was actually
saying (the ideas of totality and mediation do not even seem to
appear in the following) and thus what is actually questionable about
his argument. What you find objectionable about Kuruma's
understanding of Marx's method of abstraction for example I have not
seen argued, but I see that you disagree with Michael about something.

At any ratem I know that you disagree  with orthodox Marxist because
they are orthodox and probably from your point of view too
rationalist. But you make no specific arguments; after all, to do
that you would have to understand charitably those whom you have
decided to rail against.

Jurriaan, your posts are long, but it seems to me that they are
critiques of strawmen and phantoms. It's not your style from what I
have seen to apply charity to those with whom you disagree. You
certainly don't do so with Lukacs here.  I also don't see how you
have guarded in your clock like regular diatribes against orthodox
Marxism, postmodernism, anti empiricism against a dogmatic relativism
and metaphysical commitment to empiricism.
Rakesh