Re: [OPE-L] exploitation and abstraction

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Sat Jun 30 2007 - 12:10:29 EDT

>Marx says: "In the analysis of economic forms... neither microscopes nor
>chemical reagents are of use. The force of abstraction must replace both."
>http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1867-c1/p1.htm
>
>But he goes on to explain directly thereafter that he doesn't just abstract
>willy-nilly for the sake of a story, or start from a principle, rather he
>studied England as the locus classicus of the capitalist mode of production,
>and abstracted from this historical example (and the theories made about it)
>what he thought to be the general laws of this mode of production.

That is CLEARLY not what Marx writes. He says that he uses evidence
from England to illustrate his theory ("That is the reason why
England is used as the chief illustration in the development of my
theoretical ideas"); he does not say that he abstracts his theory
from the experience of English capitalist development. Perhaps he
should have written what you say, perhaps he proceeded as if he had
written what you say, perhaps he should have proceeded in accordance
with what you say.

But Marx seems close at points--perhaps too close at points for your
liking--to a rationalist view of science. Althusser spoke of his debt
to Bachelard but perhaps his idea of science was also close to Koyre.
So there is the question of the relationship between what Marx meant
by dialectics and what in the twentieth century would become a
rationalist theory of science in terms of which Ted Benton and
Russell Keat long ago argued Althusser had interpreted Marx's theory
(Althusser wasn't trying to do science but understand the nature of
Marx's scientific revolution).
One may well want to argue against this from the point of view of
empiricism or critical realism. But these are difficult questions.
And the question is not really about Althusser but how we understand
Marx's theory in terms of  philosophies of science--empiricism,
critical realism, rationalism, idealization, successive
approximations.

You seem convinced that Marx was an empiricist of a rather simple
sort. Perhaps. But I think more careful argumentation is needed which
is not provided by attacks on Althusser, obviously one of your bete
noire.

Indeed your defense of empiricism of the simple sort reads to me as
dogmatic and metaphysical.

Rakesh