Re: [OPE-L] Reply to Ajit Sinha and Rakesh Bhandari

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Sun Jul 01 2007 - 11:57:17 EDT

>Rakesh, it is difficult to discuss with you at all because you just assert
>or alllege things without arguing your case, as I have done. Very quickly,
>you make a few short marginal comments implying allegations, insinuations
>and slurs, but to respond to that, takes quite a long post, since in the
>process you make so many errors so quickly and get so much wrong. If the
>participants in a discussion have nothing in common, and do not treat each
>other's viewpoints in good faith, then no discussion is possible, just
>polemics and slanging matches.

Verbosity. Your tactic is to overwhelm with
volume not to argue. I am sure that I am not the
only one who thinks this.

>You yourself previously cited to me in debate Marx's critique of Lassalle
>concerning wage-slavery, in the Critique of the Gotha Program, so why you
>now want to reject your own argument I do not know.

How have I done that? What the heck are you talking about?

>You say "I think it's obvious that you have Marx wrong" but you do not
>explain why. Anybody can say that, but it's opinion and not scholarly
>argument based on argument and evidence. I do not regard you as an authority
>on Marx by the way, but on a certain RCP reading of Marx.

What is RCP? Is this a slur? How is my reading RCP whatever that means?

>Obviously I have
>never argued that exploitation is not a reality, that is a falsification, to
>the contrary I have precisely argued that Marxists take a very narrow view
>of exploitation (in contrast to Marx himself) which I think is mistaken. You
>simply ignore all that. I do not defend empiricism as you claim, I never
>have, I defend empirical and historical research to get better theories. But
>as a matter of fact empiricist analyses are typically far superior to
>abstract ranting by Marxists, and you learn more from them.

Who are the abstract ranters?

>Marx writes in his Preface: "The physicist either observes physical
>phenomena where they occur in their most typical form and most free from
>disturbing influence, or, wherever possible, he makes experiments under
>conditions that assure the occurrence of the phenomenon in its normality. In
>this work I have to examine the capitalist mode of production, and the
>conditions of production and exchange corresponding to that mode. Up to the
>present time, their classic ground is England. That is the reason why
>England is used as the chief illustration in the development of my
>theoretical ideas."
>
>In other words Marx was guided by English polical economy, English
>capitalism and English socio-economic data, and that was that was the main
>basis he abstracted from.

So what did he abstract from them? How did he
abstract? From what did he abstract and why?

>  He studied all this in detail instead of simply
>spinning "r-r-revolutionary abstractions". Of course you can juggle with
>words, and claim that English data are "merely" an illustration, but even
>that already ignores that simply in order to find these illustrations, Marx
>had to study, and abstract from, a mass of empirical material, which he did.

Yes but once he abstracted what was he studying?
Was he studying the history of English capitalism?
Have no idea what you are saying.

>Your drop-of-the-hat abstractions are simply abstractions from abstractions,
>Marx's abstractions are in large part abstractions from the empirical
>material he actually comprehensively studied (of course he also studied the
>theories of the political economists).

I think the inductivist Richard Jones was quite
important for his method of abstraction. But that
does not mean that Capital is an account of the
history of English capitalism.

And if you are arguing with Michael, then why not
show specifically where you think Kuruma went
wrong in the understanding of Marx's method of
abstraction. Is he too guilty of rrrevolutionary
abstraction, whatever that means.

>I don't propose to discuss Lukacs's views of Marx's method,

Then why the heck did you quote him out of
context. Now in the overly long paragraph below
do finally do tell me what specifically about
Marx's method do you understand Lukacs to have
defended, and you say totality and mediation are
metaphysical anti empirical categories. OK
perhaps they are, but they need not be.

That's enough. I'll let your misunderstandings of Grossman stand.

Rakesh