Re: [OPE-L] SV: [OPE-L] SV: [OPE-L] SV: [OPE-L] exploitation and abstraction

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Mon Jul 02 2007 - 12:35:05 EDT

> Dear Rakesh,
>
> The reason why I don't care much for prevalent marxist theorizing on the
USSR (the big exception today is obvisously Donald Filtzer) is the fact
that most of it doesn't make you understand the regime any better.
That's
> the difference between somebody like R.W. Davies who dedicated his life
analyzing the facts, and marxists like Resnick & Wolff who simply have
theories about it (theories about theories). It is true that professor
Chattopadhayay praised their work. Professor Mark Harrison called the
book
> "trivial":
>
> "Does Soviet history truly bear out the authors' theory? I must say yes,
but in a sense for which they may not thank me: in my view the theory is
trivial. The authors correctly wish to avoid the traps of determinism,
and
> specifically those of the economic kind. Many Marxists of earlier
generations based deterministic predictions on economic trends of one
kind
> or another that eventually came to nought. Instead of determinism
Resnick
> and Wolff offer the Althusserian concept of "overdetermination": "all
aspects of society condition and shape one another" (p. 9). The result
is
> that anything can lead to anything, or not, as the case may be (p. 78).
Consequently no predictions are possible since anything or nothing can
happen. A theory that is consistent with anything happening clearly
cannot
> be refuted from history; in Resnick and Wolff's hands the purpose of
historical analysis is only to illustrate the theory, not to subject it
> any potentially damaging test. "
>
> http://eh.net/bookreviews/library/0576
>
> Harrisson's review basically summarizes my own position so read all of
it
> for an overall assesment of my position. I have read the review by
Martin
> Thomas but cannot find it now.

What would that potentially damaging test be? Harrison does not say. Nor
does he seem to contest the main claim that the way in which the surplus
was appropriated and distributed should be described as capitalist. So I
can't see how this review is really getting to the heart of the matter.
Nor do I understand why Harrison thinks they have not opened a window on
the problem.  By the way, I have doubts about the state capitalist theory.
It seemed to me that Bob Arnot raised some important objections. And I
would like to read David Laibman's new book which has a chapter I believe
on the Soviet Union.

> A few very last remarks.
>
> You write:
>
> "For example, you thought the personal idiosyncracies of Kim Il Sung
were
> important in determining the effectiveness of nuclear deterrence. Is
this
> what you mean by empirical analysis or thinking for oneself unencumbered
by theories and orthodoxy?"

> My answer is NO. And you have also misunderstood what I was writing
about
> Kim Jung Ill. Indeed I agree that a nuclear North Korea will be
deterrent
> (very much so), this is why Kim wants them so much. The reason I don't
want him to have them is because I believe he is crazy enough to use
them
> in one way or another. This is based not only on his personal
> "idiosyncracies", but also his political behaviour, which so far has led
to tremendous suffering for the people of North Korea. In a country that
rich with resources failures like that could have been avoided, had not
the political system been, that's right, crazy. Therefore, only a madman
would want to see more weapons of mass destruction diffusing over the
world.

Yes but as not only I have pointed out you then disown the implications of
your own argument--that the US should use preventive strikes to eliminate
any possible nuclear build up. Moreover, you give us no reason for
trusting what you consider non crazy regimes will not use nuclear weapons
or engage in crazy aggression if not for the possession of weapons of mass
destruction by the weaker countries. But your evidentiary base for
singular craziness is pretty thin. How do we know that North Korea has not
been wanting to forgo a nuclear build up if it can be given reasonable
security guarantees? Have you studied the problem? I have not. I only try
to read Bruce Cumins reflections now and then. Do you even know who he is?
  In fact your post has no evidence at all; rather dangerous words (crazy)
are hurled about. And you hurl them about in a toxic environment of new
imperial aggression.

> " Have you read Wolff's regular entries at mrzine? Are you sure that
they
> are badly written or empirically thin? I disagree."
>
> Sorry I have not read them but I am sure he's really competent in many
aspects. I just didn't find his work on the USSR convincing.

> "Even before reality confirms the theory in a comprehensive way? And how
are theories related to reality? It's all so much complicated than you
seem to think."

> Only reality can confirm a theory in the social sciences, if you develop
your theory deductively or inductively doesn't really make much
> difference. Somewhere along the road the theory will be tested, and the
facts analyzed. But I never intended to start a Methodenstreit, I just
reacted to your smarmy remarks on Juriaan. Please do not patronize me
with
> your "it's all so much complicated" talk. You claimed a while ago that
Schumpeter had sympathies with fascism, how do you relate to reality at
all?

Schumpeter had sympathies for fascism as his student the non linear
mathematician Goodwin made known and biographer Allen left no doubt. Do
you know what you are talking about? Do you know that even the reactionary
National Interest journal (US) admitted to so much?!

How will the theory be tested? I have no idea what your answer is.

> "And your point is...??"
>
> My point is that you should stop calling people "empiricist" and behave
your age and position.

Behave my age! That is just colonial racist infantalization. I am not
surprised.

 If you'd like to discuss the history of the USSR or
> Russia, I'd be glad to do so. The ideas raised by Juriaan on
exploitation
> are in my opinion fundamental in trying to grasp the whole of societies,
and they constitute one very important aspect of historical development.

What the hell are Jurriaan ideas about exploitation? Perhaps I missed this
in between the rambles on method and abstraction.Nor do you say what you
are defending about Jurriaan''s ideas.

And my frustration began with Michael S writing a genial reply to Jurriaan
which Jurriaan pretended to reply to but paid no attention to at all as if
were in his own echo chamber.

Then we are told that orthodox Marxists like Lukacs and Althusser (and
presumably Kuruma) are dogmatic, religious types who can't think for
themselves.  And on the basis of what quality of argument? Or shouldn't we
prefer the careful criticisms of a John Rees or Ted Benton to the
caricatures which are passing for arguments against so called orthodox
Marxism?

Rakesh

> Many kind regards
> Martin
>

> ________________________________

say, if all it's saying is that the USSR was capitalist,
> state capitalist, degenerated state bureaucracy capitalism shaken not
stirred.

> OK  you don't care. I don't know why.
>

>          But I think Chattopadhyay goes way beyond this,
>

> How? Or Bettelheim? Yet Chattopadhyay enthuses about Resnick and Wolff
book.

>         therefore I enjoy reading his work (and I payed good money for
his
> book too, you can check amazon for yourself on price ;-)).
>

>         The books by Wolf and Resnick on the USSR get many of the most
> basic facts wrong,
>

> for example. For an empiricist like you I was expecting that you would
mention a basic fact or two and show how they undermine the theory. So
far
> no argument has been presented.
> I also have no idea what you mean by empirics and reality. For example,
you thought the personal idiosyncracies of Kim Il Sung were important in
determining the effectiveness of nuclear deterrence. Is this what you
mean
> by empirical analysis or thinking for oneself unencumbered by theories
and
> orthodoxy?
>

>         plus they are poorly written.
>

> even if true irrelevant. Have you read Wolff's regular entries at
mrzine?
> Are you sure that they are badly written or empirically thin? I
disagree.

>         There are reviews dealing with this problem in Historical
> Materialism journal a while ago.
>

> Which problem? I am supposing that you agree with the Martin Thomas
review
> which I have not studied but what about it do you agree with?
>

>          I doubt many other scholarly journals even bothered with it.
>

> And if true what would that imply? Again please note that your replies
are
> hardly arguments. Will we have to list the great books which have been
missed by reviewers?

>         This was however just an example I gave. My point is this, if
you
> cannot relate theory to reality in a comprehensive way, drop the theory.
>

> Even before reality confirms the theory in a comprehensive way? And how
are theories related to reality? It's all so much complicated than you
seem to think.

>         There is nothing ad hominem in this,
>

> I disagree.
>

>         on the contrary, it is the modern marxists who take the truth
> value of premises as given.
>

> don't catch your meaning.
>

>         ii) You write:
>

>         "Wow! Marx applied common sense in the same way that Keynes and
> Friedman did. I am glad that you are using such formulations to
> defend Jurriaan, not me!"
>

>         This is the opposite of what I was saying, which you know, since
> you quote me saying myself that:
>

>         "I am using the concept "common sense" broadly here, and
obviously
> not everyone agrees on the ideas of Keynes or Friedman, in fact
> they are opposites, but I am talking here about the development of
economics as science, not specific arguments"

>         That is, a social scientist makes arguments, and if people find
> the arguments convincing, they'll subscirbe to the theory.
>

> Do they subscribe to theories on the basis of arguments which seems to
suggest a rationalist view of science or on the basis of facts which
suggests an empiricist view of science? I thought you were arguing the
latter but frankly I don't know what you are arguing by invoking common
good sense.

>         As an academian, you might have heard that the economic
> departments are filled with people who have different ideas, some are
"Keynesians", some are "neo-classical", some are (a few)
> "Marxists". They all have to defened their theories, and you do so with
facts and arguments. This is how any science evolves. It has nothing to
do with my "defence of Juriaan", a person who can speak very well for
himself. But it is obvious for any child that there are different
opinions on what constitutes "common sense", and how to reach it. I
never thought I'd have to state this is so many