Re: [OPE-L] Ajit Sinha and equality versus equivalence

From: Paul Cockshott (wpc@DCS.GLA.AC.UK)
Date: Thu Jul 12 2007 - 06:43:36 EDT

Ajit
-----
Paul, as you know, a relation of equivalence and
equality are not the same thing. Equality is one
specific kind of equivalence relationship. You also
know that a relationship between two goods cannot be
transitive, you will need to introduce another good.
But, of course you know all this better than I do. The
point is, what is one doing by representing exchange
relation as equality relation. Of course, Marx tries
to deduce both money and labor out of it. The
deduction of labor is seriously problematic and as I
claim, equalization relation presupposes money of some
kind.
--------------------------

Paul
----
We need to distinguish contexts of discussion here.

Context 1 - the immediate exchange with Jurrian
I would generally sympathise with your point in discussion with
Jurrian with respect to 'unequal exchange', which I think is a very
Problematic concept.

Context 2 - the derivation of labour as the common substance
In marxs argument in capital 1.

Here I am not convinced that the argument Marx makes actually assumes equality rather than the more general category of an equivalence relation. Note that he writes :

"Elementary or Accidental Form Of Value

x commodity A = y commodity B, or
x commodity A is worth y commodity B.

20 yards of linen = 1 coat, or
20 Yards of linen are worth 1 coat."

Here the = sign is being used as a short hand for 'is worth'. Trivially, is worth, means 'of equal value' or 'equi-valent', so one could reasonably argue that his use of the equality sign here is as a generalisation from arithmetic equality to the more abstract notion of equivalence.

His argument to derive labour as the common substance :

"Let us take two commodities, e.g., corn and iron. The proportions in which they are exchangeable, whatever those proportions may be, can always be represented by an equation in which a given quantity of corn is equated to some quantity of iron: e.g., 1 quarter corn = x cwt. iron. What does this equation tell us? It tells us that in two different things - in 1 quarter of corn and x cwt. of iron, there exists in equal quantities something common to both. The two things must therefore be equal to a third, which in itself is neither the one nor the other. Each of them, so far as it is exchange value, must therefore be reducible to this third."

He is here using Euclids Common Notion " things that are equal to the same thing are equal to one another ", which was arguably expressing the general notion of an equivalence relation.

Obviously the relationship between two commodities in the accidental form of exchange is not transitive, but what Marx calls the total or expanded form is:
"Total or Expanded Form of value

z Com. A = u Com. B or v Com. C or = w Com. D or = Com. E or = &c.
(20 yards of linen = 1 coat or = 10 lbs tea or = 40 lbs. coffee or
= 1 quarter corn or = 2 ounces gold or = ½ ton iron or = &c.)"

It seems to me that he is setting out a definition of an equivalence relation here ( he does not bother with reflexivity, since this is obvious in the case of commodities ). Here he is giving an example of an equivalence set induced by the relation.

Consider then the argument that there must be something common and conserved in the exchange:
" A simple geometrical illustration will make this clear. In order to calculate and compare the areas of rectilinear figures, we decompose them into triangles. But the area of the triangle itself is expressed by something totally different from its visible figure, namely, by half the product of the base multiplied by the altitude. In the same way the exchange values of commodities must be capable of being expressed in terms of something common to them all, of which thing they represent a greater or less quantity."

The example here is an explicit instance of dimension reduction - reducing triangles - a two dimensional figure - to area, a scalar.

His argument seems to be that behind the equivalence relation there has to be a   scalar quantity - strictly speaking he also needs to assume that the value of

 z Com. A > y Com. A

when z>y to establish that behind the equivalence relation and its associated equivalence sets, there is a scalar, since this now allows us to say that one equivalence set is more or less valuable than another.

I think he iw right to argue that it is this structure that allows the existence of money as a dimension reduction device. The assertion that the common scalar is labour, is only an assertion, it is not proved in the argument. There are obviously other possible common scalars - weight, volume, carbon content etc, but none of these had the same immediate empirical plausibility as labour.

I would argue that the logic of commodity exchange implies a common conserved scalar value, and that hypothetically systems of commodity exchange could exist in which something other than labour provided this conserved scalar, ( some system of robot production for instance ), but that in contemporary human society it actually is labour that is the underlying scalar. But this is something to be empirically tested, not something to be logically deduced.