Re: [OPE-L] [On Fred's and your posts

From: cmgermer@UFPR.BR
Date: Mon Jul 16 2007 - 08:22:33 EDT

Hi Fred and Rakesh:
Thank you very much for your replies to my post.

Fred:

> [...]
>> Now, why must labor and nothing else be the scalar? Because the human
>> being depends on his/her labor to subsist, but not on the individual
>> labor
>> providing the needs of each individual, but on social labor, i.e.,
>> division of labor, in such a way that each individual provides society
>> with the product of  his/her labor, and receives in exchange what he/she
>> needs. What Marx argues is that, in order for society to subsist, this
>> exchange must be based on the exchange of equal amounts of labor: the
>> use-value which each individual offers to the society mus be the product
>> of the same amount of labor contained in the use-values he/she receives
>> from the society in exchange.
>
> Thanks for the very clear summary of your argument.  I think I
> understand it better now.
>

>> Please observe the following two passagens by Marx:
>> ‘(...) if society wants to satisfy some want and have an article
>> produced
>> for this purpose, it must pay for it. Indeed, since commodity-production
>> necessitates a division of labor, society pays for this article by
>> devoting a portion of the available labor-time to its production.
>> Therefore, society buys it with a definite quantity of its disposable
>> labor-time. That part of society which through the division of labor
>> happens to employ its labor in producing this particular article, must
>> receive an equivalent in social labor incorporated in articles which
>> satisfy its own wants’ (Marx, Capital, vol. 3, Int. Publ., p. 187).
>>
>> ‘Now since (…) [the laborer’s – CMG] work forms part of a system, based
>> on
>> the social division of labor, he does not directly produce the actual
>> necessaries which he himself consumes; he produces instead a particular
>> commodity, yarn for example, whose value is *equal* to the value of
>> those
>> necessaries or of the money with which they can be bought. (…) If the
>> value of those necessaries represent on an average the expenditure of
>> six
>> hours' labor, the workman must on an average work for six hours to
>> produce
>> that value’ (Marx, Capital, Vol. I, p.104).
>
> I think you make a strong argument, which is based on these passages
> from other parts of Capital besides Section 1, as to why the common
> property of commodities must be labor.  This further argument is based
> on an objective point of view, just like the argument in Section 1:
> every society must allocate its labor force in such a way as to produce
> the quantities of goods that the society needs.  In a
> commodity-exchange society, in order for society to produce what it
> needs, the exchange of commodities must be based on equal amounts of
> labor – i.e. the use-value that each individual offers to society must
> be the product of the same amount of labor contained in the use-value
> that he/she received from society in exchange.

Claus: yes, this is correct.

> I think this is essentially the same argument that Marx presented in
> Section 4 of Chapter 1, in which Marx explained the necessary role of
> labor-time requirements in the allocation of social labor in other
> kinds of “societies” – Robinson Crusoe, feudalism, peasant family, and
> “association of free men”.  In all these societies, the quantity of
> labor-time required to produced each product must be taken into
> accounts and play a key role in the allocation of social labor.  In
> these other societies, these labor-time requirements are taken into
> accounts directly and consciously.  However, in a commodity-exchange
> society, these labor-time requirements are NOT taken into account
> directly and consciously; but they must be taken into account somehow
> in order to accomplish the correct allocation of labor.  Since the only
> connection between commodity producers is through market exchange, if
> the labor-time requirements are to play a role in the allocation of
> social labor, they must do so through exchange.  And that is why these
> labor-time requirements must determine the average equilibrium prices
> at which commodities exchange – because that is the way labor in a
> commodity-exchange society is indirectly and unconsciously regulated.
>
> I think this is also essentially the same argument that Marx presented
> in the famous letter, replying to the review of Capital in the
> Centralblatt (July 11, 1868):
>
> “Every child knows … that the volume of products corresponding to the
> different needs require different and quantitatively determined amounts
> of the total labor society.  That this necessity of the distribution of
> social labour in definite proportions cannot possibly be done away with
> by a particular form of social production but can only change the mode
> of its appearance, is self-evident.  Natural laws cannot be abolished
> at all.  What can change in historically different circumstances is
> only the form in which these laws assert themselves.  And the form in
> which this proportional distribution of labour asserts itself, in a
> social system where the interconnection of social labour manifests
> itself through the private exchange of individual products of labour,
> is precisely the exchange value of these products.  (Selected
> Correspondence, p. 196).
>
> Rubin also emphasized this argument in his interpretation of the labor
> theory of value.
>
> My question about this argument is the following:  it seems to be based
> on the assumption of “simple commodity production” (in which each
> worker owns her own means of production).  If so, then to what extent
> does it remain valid for capitalist society?  What do you think?

Claus:
Rakesh sent me a post making what seems to me to be the same question:

> The law of value is thus demanded for the successful working of
> capitalism. Indeed it could be argued that it is only actually effective
> under the capitalist mode of production as there is no such thing as
> simple commodity production as a mode of production.
>
> (...)
> Because the social relations of production are organized through commodity
> relations, prices must be governed by values for a society to achieve the
> proportional deployment of labor needed for its reproduction. You have
> stated this extremely well.
>
> But general commodity production is also capitalist or private production,
> the production of commodities by means of wage labor for profit. This
> latter systemic
> feature motivates capitalists to search for the highest profit, leading
> tendentially to an averaging of the rate of profit.
>
> But behind everyone's back the averaging of the rate of profit contradicts
> the law of value. Yet they are both intrinsic to the structure

Claus:
This is a very important point, and I don’t have the whole explanation.
However, in my opinion the following are some of the elements of the
explanation:
The law of value arises out of the contradiction between the division of
labour and the absence of a social plan for the distribution of labour and
of the products of labour among the individual producers. What I
understand as the law of value, as I said in my previous post, is the need
for the exchange of commodities to be based on the exchange of equal
amounts of labor: the use-value which each individual offers to the
society mus be the product of the same amount of labor contained in the
use-values he/she receives from the society in exchange.

Since the capitalist economy is a commodity producing economy, the law of
value must of necessity remain valid, because the contradiction mentioned
above remains as well. The individual producers are in this case the
capitalist units of production, each one comprising a number of workers
and say one capitalist, and the basic exchange is among those units of
production, divided into the exchange among the workers and the exchange
among the capitalists. The basic point is that the reproduction of the
society is now dependent on the requirements for the reproduction of the
capitalist units of production. But in the absence of a social plan for
the distribution of labour and of the products of labour, the exchange
among the capitalist units of production must follow the law of value.

If there were not the capitalists, the exchange among the units of
production would follow the law of value to its whole extent. The
existence of the capitalists requires the units of production to produce a
surplus in relation to the needs of their workers, which requires the
workers to work a surplus time. But a surplus product will only exist if
the reproduction of the workers follows the law of value, i.e., if the
exchange among them is based on the exchange of equal SNLTs. In other
words, the workers cannot get more from the social product than what is
necessary for the reproduction of their labour power. The exchange among
them is mediated by the exchange among the capitalist units of production.

Thus, social labour is split into two parts, one being the labour
necessary to reproduce the labor power, the other being surplus labour, to
which corresponds a surplus product. The value of the surplus product is
subject to the law of value, because its global value corresponds to the
surplus labour. But the exchange value of the surplus product does not
need to be based on the equalization of SNLT, because the surplus produced
in each capitalist unit of production is larger that what is needed for
the reproduction of the capitalist, the remaining going for accumulation.
In capitalism, the accumulation is a condition for the reproduction of the
society, which remains the basic motive for social labour. Perhaps it can
then be said that the redistribution of the surplus product, expressed in
the surplus value, which causes the divergence between prices of
production and values, arises out of the contradiction between the
requirements of the accumulation and the absence of a social plan for the