Re: [OPE-L] a paper on Marx's transformation problem and Ricardo's problem of an invariable measure of value

From: Paul Cockshott (wpc@DCS.GLA.AC.UK)
Date: Tue Jul 17 2007 - 04:48:13 EDT

You argue that *any* definition of
labour-value *must* support a dated interpretation that describes a
hypothetical process of growth. Standard and nonstandard labour-values
share this property. This is due to the irreducibility of the standard
unit of measure.
You say "The reason for this difference is simple. The dated
interpretation of labour-
value posits a hypothetical process that terminates in production at
scale q, whereas
the concept of self-replacing equilibrium posits a steady state that
continually re-
produces at scale q. Call the hypothetical process the `process of
replacement',
or simply `replacement'.

During the process of replacement, however, the sequence of net prod-
ucts, (n(t)), is not consumed by workers and capitalists; rather, the
net products
are reinvested and function as means of production for the next round of
pro-
duction."

This is what I disagree with. The process that terminates at scale q is
not hypothetical but actual even in a self reproducing economy.

Consider a simple corn economy, which, using the standard commodity
allows us to model any such process of production.

Suppose that for each seed of maize sown 100 are harvested. Suppose that
the the maize harvest is 100 million tons and involves 10 million person
years direct labour input. Let us assume that there are 10^6 grains of
maize per ton, which is correct to an order of magnitude. We can then
express the harvest in terms of seeds 10^14 seeds. 10^12 seeds would
have had to be sewn in the spring to produce this. That seed corn would
itself have required
10^10 seeds the previous year, 10^8 the year before that etc. Going back
7 years we find that one seed was the logical ancestor of the entire
crop. (I think by the way it is unrealisitic to define your quantities
as reals rather than integers and rationals, which are all that ever
exists in economics).

If in year -7 this seed had been eaten, there would have been a
shortfall of 100 seeds the next year, and if there was no corresponding
reduction in consumption in year -6, the
Shortfall would be 10,000 seed the next year - growing to the entire
harvest after 7 years.
But this does not imply that the population can not consume the entire
net product each year, it only means that they have to correctly
calculate the set-aside for re-sowing. This set-aside is not part of the
net product. So long as the population eat no more than
99,000,000,000,000 seeds each year production can continue without
interruption.