[OPE-L] The difficulties of translating Marx: report on an excursus in Marxology

From: Jurriaan Bendien (adsl675281@TISCALI.NL)
Date: Fri Aug 03 2007 - 17:33:17 EDT

Michael,

I had another look at it. In principle, the text you want should have been included in the "from the preparatory materials" section as indicated in MECW Vol. 3.
http://www2.cddc.vt.edu/marxists/cd/cd1/Library/archive/marx/works/cw/volume03/index.htm

What Riazanov published originally in the Historisch-Kritische Gesamtausgabe was a SELECTION from these "preparatory materials", but most of this selection DOES NOT EVEN APPEAR in MECW Vol. 3.

The pages would be published possibly in the original German/French in MEGA I-2 or I-4, or more likely IV-2 or IV-3, I haven't checked that. If we look at MEGA IV-3 ( http://www.iisg.nl/~imes/mega-summ.php#iv-03  ) we can read that:

"The volume contains excerpts and notes that Marx made during the last months of his first stay in Paris (October 1843 to February 1845) and in the first months of his stay in Brussels (February 1845 to March 1848). Also, it contains Marx's personal notebook from the years 1844-47. Most of these materials HAVE NOT BEEN PUBLISHED PREVIOUSLY."

Of course Riazanov did publish some of it, in German (and Russian) without necessarily dating the material exactly. But most likely, the whole text of the excerpts/notes in question was NEVER published in English.

So if you wanted to have another published scholarly translation of the text you want in English, it would have to be in an English publication focusing specifically on this period in Marx's life, or maybe in anthologies of early writings by Bottomore, McLellan etc.

For example,  Paresh Chattopadhyay had an article "Karl Marx - Exzerpte und Notizen: Sommer 1844 bis Anfang 1847', in Gesamtausgabe (MEGA), vierte Abteilung. Band 3"  published in Historical Materialism, Volume 12, Number 4, 2004 , pp. 427-454.

Jurriaan