[OPE-L] A startling quotation from Engels

From: Jurriaan Bendien (adsl675281@TISCALI.NL)
Date: Sun Aug 19 2007 - 05:50:18 EDT

Dear Prof. Germer,

The core of your argument seems to be that:

"But before capitalism social labor did not in general adopt the form of
commodities and by way of consequence the form of value either. In this
sense I think it can be said that your interpretation is a-historical,
because you identify all historical forms of social labor to the form it has
in capitalism, which is value."

You obviously do not read what I say, because I have, like Marx,
distinguished sharply between the "value" of  "the product" (a product which
is a use-value) because it is the product of human labour, and the "form" in
which this value is expressed. Marx does not say that products have value
because they are commodities, but instead that products have value because
they are products of labour. It is completely clear and irrefutable. The
value-form and its developing expressions cannot even come into being, if
products of labour have no value to start off with.

I don't actually know what you mean when you say vaguely "before capitalism
social labor did not in general adopt the form of commodities", this has
nothing to do with Marx. What Marx says is, that labour-power and means of
production generally become tradeable commodities exchangeable for money in
the capitalist mode of production, which they were not on any large scale
before.

I do not "identify all historical forms of social labor to the form it has
in capitalism, which is value", whatever that means. To repeat, what I say
is, that the fact that products of human labour have value, is something
that has very different consequences and implications, depending on the
given relations of production and exchange, i.e. it can take different forms
in different historical epochs. But it has never been in doubt to workers in
any era of history that their products have value, because it took work to
make them.

It is only a bourgeois prejudice that value originates in commodity trade,
and naturally dogmatic Marxist orthodoxy follows the bourgeois prejudice
with its occult mumbling about "value". Orthodox Marxism is anti-historical,
in the precise sense that real economic history is rarely studied. If it was
studied, then a lot of the garble it talks about "value" would vanish. Even
so, you do not even engage with the textual evidence for Marx's own view,
which I provided. Well it is there, if you care to look at it.

If I produce products for my own consumption, I know jolly well that those
products have a labour-value, which I can express in terms of my own
labour-time and which indeed I can compare with the hours of labour which it
would take other people I know of to accomplish. No commodity trade is
necessary for the latter at all, just a working knowledge of how long, on
average, a task takes for people to perform. In fact, under certain
conditions my very survival would depend on that knowledge.

You write: "I think Marx's concept is that value is the social form of the
products of labor in a society where labor is not distributed according to a
social plan". It sounds very radical, very orthodox, very profound. But in
reality, you again conflate the form of value with the substance of value,
even although Marx takes great pains to distinguish between them across many
pages of his book. In feudalism or many other precapitalist societies,
"labor is also not distributed according to a social plan". Yet you want to
argue that value did not exist in those societies!

All this seems to be a dispute about subtleties, but in reality the false
theory of value you propose caused the ruination of many workers' lives in
Soviet-type societies. It was thought "value is the social form of the
products of labor in a society where labor is not distributed according to a
social plan" which effectively meant that, since there was now a social
plan, workers became expendable in the execution of the plan.

Jurriaan