Re: [OPE-L] A startling quotation from Engels

From: Alejandro Agafonow (alejandro_agafonow@YAHOO.ES)
Date: Mon Aug 20 2007 - 15:59:40 EDT

Wright: «A product that cannot sell fails to command labour. But this event
does not imply labour is not embodied in its production. A product has
labour-value regardless of whether it meets a social demand or not.»

This statement conveys the same «dichotomy» that we can find in Bendien, that is: a product has value (labour) because a human being produced it, but also because it is of value (usefulness). The subject theory of value surpasses this dichotomy integrating coherently both sides of the phenomenon. But this isn’t the only leak of labour value theory. All you know very well the exceptions that labour value has to do to integrate coherently the valuation of none-reproducible goods (natural resources) and one-shot-labour-goods like a van Gogh or a Reverón (known Venezuelan painter).

That’s why labour value is better understood like a philosophical conception of the equal value of every human being.

Kind regards,
Alejandro Agafonow