Re: [OPE-L] Reclaiming Marx's "Capital": book launch talks, reviews, media coverage

From: ajit sinha (sinha_a99@YAHOO.COM)
Date: Sat Sep 01 2007 - 08:02:59 EDT

--- Philip Dunn <hyl0morph@YAHOO.CO.UK> wrote:

> On Wed, 2007-08-29 at 15:01 -0700, ajit sinha wrote:
>
> > Then thinking economists will have to become
> > non-thinking economists! Let's suppose I bought a
> > Picaso painting 10 years ago for 1 million dollars
> and
> > sell it today for 10 millions. Where did the
> surplus
> > labor come into Picaso's painting that I was
> keepin in
> > a locker in a bank? First tell me what, according
> > you, would be Marx's answer since I presume we are
> > talking about Marx's concept of surplus labor.
> Then
> > you could tell me what would be your answer if you
> > disagree with Marx's answer. Cheers, ajit sinha
> >

> Hi Ajit,
>
> Marx? Things can have a price but no value? A very
> dubious proposition
> IMHO.
>
> Me? Easy peasy.
>
> As one of the filthy idle rich who dabble in the art
> market you count as
> self-employed. The market has valued your productive
> labour (thirty
> minutes toil at the auctioneers to buy the Picasso
> and another thirty to
> sell it) at (the value of) 9 million dollars. If the
> value of money was
> a constant 0.1 hours per dollar, your socially
> necessary labour time was
> 900,000 hours.
>
> It is difficult with the self-employed to split
> wages from profits.
> Taking a 50-50 split you have been earning an hourly
> wage rate of 4.5
> million dollars.
>
> Scott Fitzgerald once said "the rich are different
> from us". Hemingway
> should have replied "yes, they have better wages".
__________________________

Are you just a funny guy or you really think that you
have a serious understanding of economic theory? My
wage of 30 minutes ten years ago and 30 minutes today
remain the same? and why? And why should I split my
profit at 50-50? Any way, Let's suppose I had another
painting which had cost me 1 million but I sold it for
only 2 million. These two transactions are done
separetly with separate 30 minutes labor expenditure.
What happens to my wages and profits now? Cheers, ajit
sinha

Need a vacation? Get great deals
to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.
http://travel.yahoo.com/