Re: [OPE-L] Truncating Marx's "Capital"

From: Riccardo Bellofiore (riccardo.bellofiore@UNIBG.IT)
Date: Mon Sep 03 2007 - 11:51:17 EDT

Dear Fred,

very quickly, because work has begun again at full speed.

1. I have in mind Shaik's Ph.D. thesis (it is
1974, I guess, if not 1973) and, yes, the
iterative solution. I go by heart, so I am not
sure. It is a line which was also pursued by
Morishima, and took up again ideas from Shibata
and Brody.

2. about TSSI my position here is the same as David (Laibman). I quote:

"the sequential calculation has to go in one of two
directions.  Either you embrace a theoretical conception of time by
working out the value-formation process under assumed constant social
and technical conditions of production; or you allow technology, the
rate of exploitaton, etc. to change as the iterations proceed.  The
former corresponds to the Shaikh-Morishima-Nuti iterative solution, and
leads to the stationary result also obtained by simultaneous calculation
(Meek, Sraffa, etc. -- and Laibman!).  ...  It is based very
clearly, I believe, in Marx's premise that value theory is about laying
bare the underlying structure in a given set of market-based social
relations.  The alternative -- the TSSI variety of "temporal" analysis,
in which everything constantly changes and therefore no convergence
takes place -- is, in my view, the abandonment of any chance at a
theoretical perspective; it is pure empiricism, the systematic
confounding of fortuitous experienced phenomena with their
deep-structural determinants.  It is not really a "single system"; it is
rather an eclectic mishmash in which values, prices of production and
market prices are all merged into one another and cannot be
distinguished, and in which theory, in Marx's sense, plays no role."

As I said, it is methodologically very similar to
Mises' rejection of equilibrium theorizing.

3. "Makes better sense of the theory as a whole":
from which point of view? The TSSI lately rescued
the Principle of Textual Exegesis by Stigler. It
is very contexted, and it cannot be taken for
granted, or as THE criterion in any absolute
sense. If it is just assumed and put outside the
theoretical questioning, this is strictly
speaking dogmatism (cfr. Hegel, Introduction to
the Phenomenology of the Spirit). Now, the key
move of TSSI is, thanks to the PTE taken for
granted, to say that their interpretation is no
more an interpretation, it is Marx's himself
speaking. And here's again dogmatism. I pointed
this in London twice, in a discussion on Kliman
(what I think is now the Intro and the Conclusion
of the book) at the HM conference 2005, and at a
AHE plenary on pluralism in 2006. Of course I
didn't convinced the TSSI people there, and I
think I can live with that. I am glad that you
agree that all this is non-conclusive. For me it
is even less conclusive, since for me the real
problem in Marx is NOT the transformation, but
the argument according to which value exhibits in
money only labour. It is here that Marx's
argument is problematic. If that argument is
correct (or, if not, if it is reconstructed),
then the change of form in prices cannot but
redistribute the same quantity of labour. Of
course, the TSSI simply cannot understand that
for somebody there are problems in Marx, serious
problems, which have nothing to do with the
transformation (see the repeated criticism by
Kliman). When I presented my Ghost and vampire
paper in London, Freeman based his comments as a
discussant on ONE phrase on the transformation
were it was said that generally it is seen as
problematic. That's it.

4. However, I cannot understand how one can makes
better sense of a theory if it bases himself on
inaccurate translations, and this is the case of
the English translations: so, the debate should
be done on the original texts if one wants to put
in question the other readings against the
original Marx.

5.The Italian works I quoted were intervention in
the debate on Marx. Cini is 1974 in a
non-mathematical version, a mathematical version
wa published early 1980s but the paper is surely
earlier. Laise-Pala-Valentino is 1977 (I wrote, I
guess, not Valentino but Tucci in my prior mail,
because later Tucci worked with Laise in books
over Wicksell and Walras). They were discussing
the transformation problem within the LTV.
Probably for you (and me) the
Laise-Pala-Valentino is the most interesting (and
it stresses the essentiality of a material
interpretation of the wage: and it does so as a
criticism against the Sraffians' reading). Again,
I go by heart. They criticised the positions of
those who used the simultaneous solution against
Marx, for the presumed inessentiality of labour
quantities in the transformation, a point raised
by Napoleoni in 1966, much earlier than Steedman.

6. You write:

"Previously existing quantity of money capital is
taken as given in the determination of the value
and prices of production of the output at the end
of the circuit"

This looks new to me, it seems that you now take
that "existing" in a temporal meaning. Now,
either we fall back in the discussion clarified
by Laibman, or that money magnitudes have to do
with elements of constant and variable capital
sold at their prices of production, so why it is
that relevant? That money magnitudes are
simultaneously given with prices anyhow.

7. I guess Ronchon is Rochon. May you give me the reference?

8. Graziani does not bother very much with the
transformation problem, and rightly so. The
theory of the monetary circuit is a true
macro-class-monetary approach, that interprets
valorization at the level of analysis of Book I,
with capital as a whole versus the working class.
In that perspective, the determination of prices
is subsequent, and not relevant to valorization.
You can check reading the very, very short paper
by Graziani in the IJPE 1997 I edited.

I have not read the next messages (I am now going
to read the last OPE-L messages of the last few
days), so I apologize if some of this is
redundant or out of focus.

riccardo

--
Riccardo Bellofiore