Re: [OPE-L] Truncating Marx

From: glevy@PRATT.EDU
Date: Thu Sep 06 2007 - 08:51:43 EDT

> My guess is that from the past mails this year
> there is NO consensus.

Hi Riccardo:

I believe that there is _close to_ consensus on the proposition - - both
on the list and and outside of the list among those who are familar with
the literature but are themselves not advocates of the TSSI.  This is more
than a "guess" on my part as many have come forward and told me that they
agree with that conclusion based on their years of reading through the
relevant literature.  It is indeed remarkable that after so many years and
so many publications, the TSSI has gained the support of so few additional
scholars. It should also be noted that this is a theme (whether directly
or indirectly stated) in so many of the critiques of the TSSI: whatever
differences these critics of the TSSI have among themselves (and they have
many differences!) they seem all to grasp the inherent dogmatic nature of
certain TSSI perspectives.  Frankly, I'm just saying what most other
scholars in the field are thinking and/or have said.

In solidarity, Jerry