Re: [OPE-L] Truncating Marx

From: Riccardo Bellofiore (riccardo.bellofiore@UNIBG.IT)
Date: Mon Sep 10 2007 - 10:25:12 EDT

Hi David,

actually, I agree 98%. I too think that

- "There are no contradictions or
"inconsistences" in Marx [regarding the
transformation]; only some incompleteness in the
formalization of the quantitative side of the
theory. "

-  one has to "confront the question: what
happens next?  After surplus value is
redistributed and production prices formed, the
elements of constant capital take on new values
(based on the newly formed prices of production).
"

I also agree on what follows about
pooling-redistribution, sequential iteration
abruptly stopped ('back into the empirical word,
untheorized' or reaching the simultaneous
solution.

Actually, in a very less efficacious way I wrote
some of this kind in an ISMT volume edited by
Campbell and Reuten.

Where I have doubts is when you write that the
'invariance' assumption is irrelevant. I was of
this opinion in 1980. Later on, I beacme
convinced - probably, more an issue of more
general reconstruction than of textual
interpretation of Marx - that there is in fact an
'invariance' in the spirit of Marx, the Marx of
the 7th chapter so-to-speak: that the new value
in the periods exhibits in money only current
living labor.

If I should have to single out something which is
invariant across the 3 volumes is this.

riccardo

ps: I also very much agree in your criticism of
those who label Sraffa "static-like" etc.. I
think btw that the term should rather be
'stationary'. But in fact, Sraffa's book is
completely independent from the issue of
'change', so it is neither stationary or
evolutive. The real point is that Sraffa's
problematic starts when Marx's game in vol. I is
over, but I think Sraffa perfectly knew this and
didn't saw his scheme as an alternative leading
back to Ricardo.

--
Riccardo Bellofiore
Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche