Re: [OPE-L] models with unequal turnover periods

From: Ian Hunt (ian.hunt@FLINDERS.EDU.AU)
Date: Sat Sep 15 2007 - 21:38:55 EDT

Dear Fred,
In the model, the fixed capital flow input is a quantity of value per
year, with a price per unit of value for the machine. In money
accounting terms, it is the depreciation of the item of fixed capital
per year. Empirically, the turnover period is determined by
accounting convention, together with expectations of profitable
working the lifetime of the machine.

Once the turnover period is found you can determine capital flows by
dividing the capital stock by the turnover period. The dimension of
capital stocks is money. So you divide the capital fund required for
the machine, ie its capital cost in money terms, by the turnover
period (whose dimension is time) to get the fixed capital flow (whose
dimension is money/time).

In my model, the capital is measured in value units and prices as
prices per unit of value. You could also measure the capital in other
units, and take prices per those units. Measurement in value units
reveals the division of socially necessary labour time involved in
the productive consumption of inputs. If you think the reciprocal
interaction between money price and labour productivity (defined as
the inverse of 'value') is important theoretically, then your theory
will take value units as significant. if you have other theoretical
interests, you will not doubt take other measures as the basis of
your model,
Cheers,
Ian

--
Associate Professor Ian Hunt,
Dept  of Philosophy, School of Humanities,