Re: [OPE-L] Queries about Karl Marx vs Adolph Wagner on value, exchange value and price formation

From: glevy@PRATT.EDU
Date: Thu Sep 20 2007 - 08:51:56 EDT

> I think your interpretation is correct on all these points, and this
> passage would, I think, be hard for those who identify value input in
> the transformationprocess with money spent, to reconcile with their view
> of Marx.

Paul C and Ian W (and Jurriaan):

Means of production and labour power must be *purchased* before they can
become inputs in the capitalist production process.  This requires that
they take the form of constant and variable capital, and that means that
they take the *commodity-form* and thereby also must have use-value and
exchange-value and that EV must be represented by a certain amount of
money.

How can it be otherwise?  How, under capitalism, can the value input
_not_ be related to money spent?

How can a contrary perspective be reconciled with Marx's frequently stated
perspectives on the actualization (often translated as "realization") of
surplus value?

In solidarity, Jerry